BBC trained Broadcast Project Engineer, with over 30 years experience of working on radio studios, Master Control Room areas, communications, video and IT systems.
Specialising in IT systems for Broadcasting - radio playout, digital audio storage and networked IP codecs.
Self-driven, with experience in delivering deadline projects and seeing through to completion.
Worked as a team member on most of the BBC radio station / major broadcast centre moves and refurbishment projects across the UK, dealing with customers and colleagues at all levels.
Video experience - central areas SD / HD-SDI and analogue on SAM routers, Vistek/Probel and Crystal Vision system 'glue', working knowledge of TV studio cameras / vision mixers and video playout systems.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Proven track record in delivery of time and mission critical services to customer premises.
• Adept in all aspects of project delivery, from sourcing specialist equipment to managing wiring and installation staff on customer sites with safety a priority.
• High quality end product, with full documentation for maintenance and future modification.
Strategy and Planning
• Worked with customers to meet requirements, timescales and budget.
• Design and specification of complex broadcast and IT systems.
• Managed prefabrication work and acceptance of systems off-site with third-party installation contractors.
• Prepared Risk and Method Statements for on-site working to comply with CDM health and safety regulations.
Broadcast Engineering Skills
• Central Technical Area installations - Analogue & digital audio and video switching and distribution, ISDN codecs setup.
• Installed broadcast centre and transmission links via Telco circuits. (BT and Cable & Wireless/Vodafone.)
• Radio studio design and build.
• Configured and installed communications and multiplexer equipment.
• AutoCAD Lt, Visio and PCB Design Packages (Eagle CAD and Seetrax Ranger) Proficiency.
• Installed and configured IP audio and video codecs
• Installed network routers and switches (Foundry and Cisco)
• Server specification, build and install. Linux Experienced (CentOS & Ubuntu)
• Radio Playout systems (Radioman, Dira and Rivendell server and PC installs)
• Managed structured cabling installation.
• Wide Area Network upgrades to multiple sites.
• Network Engineer on Cisco based network
Broadcast Projects around the UK. Analogue / Digital and IP audio and video, studio and central technical area installation. IT network and server installation. Telephony and comms systems.
System design, technical drawings (on AutoCAD and Visio), cable scheduling and instructions for wiremen to install to,
Fault-finding and system maintenance.
• Working on behalf of dB Broadcast to design and install 7 main on-air radio studios and 5 radio prep areas and news studios at the new BBC Wales headquarters in central Cardiff.
• Working with BBC Major Projects project managers and engineers to realise customers brief in building state of the art radio studios, with a heavy slant on AES67 connectivity and BNCS control of the areas to ensure flexibility of resources.
• Additions and changes to News TV studios, and modifications of Central Area equipment to meet operation requirements.
• Drawings produced on AutoCAD, wiring and build information packs submitted to installation team, system testing prior to hand-over to BBC.
• Working on behalf of BBC Major Projects Dept. to assist dB Broadcast in antenna and equipment changes/upgrades at BBC W1 TV studios.
• Site management, access and work permit requests, PAT testing and acceptance witnessing of new systems. Marshalling goods in/out and waste disposal.
working on BBC Aurora Connectivity.
• Working as Freelance Project Engineer for BBC Engineering Major Projects department on the Aurora circuits migration project. Responsible for conducting surveys and drawing up system information regarding video/audio/data circuit connectivity for BBC sites in South Wales and South-West England, and managing BBC and BT sub-contractors during on-site equipment installation and subsequent migration of circuits.
• Managed decommissioning of redundant telecoms equipment at BBC sites in South Wales and South-West England.
on Rugby World Cup
• Working with BT IT Services (via Datacom agency) as Network Engineer at Cardiff Millennium Stadium, Leeds Elland Road and Manchester City Etihad grounds, providing front line support to press and media for internet connectivity over a Cisco equipped network.
working on BBC projects.
• Site management at BBC Salford on behalf of Independent Project Engineering (IPE) to oversee their installation of radio studios and central area audio systems. Liaising with Principal building contractor and BBC Site manager to ensure timely access and services to studio and apparatus areas, and for agreement of key dates for deliveries and work packages. Managed Health and Safety on site for IPE personnel.
• Installation and commissioning of central areas audio equipment
• Engineering effort at BBC W1 (London Broadcasting House) site to clear snags in radio studios, and to liase with BBC to enable patching of IT services and telephony to radio studios.
• Senior Project Engineer working to Project Manager in BBC Major Projects department (MPI) on the Circuits and Connectivity strand of the move of Television Centre circuits services to W1.
• Key role in successful delivery of BBC Radio 5Live and Audio and Music radio studios and Central Apparatus infrastructure in BBC Salford, despite tight timescale and changes in spec to central areas requirements. (Studer On-Air 3000 and DHD RM3200 digital studio desks, StageTec Nexus and LAWO Dallis routers, Harris and Crystal Vision DA and convertor cards).
• Successful delivery of circuits moves to W1 for BBC Radio 5 Live, World and National News and World Service.
• Move of vision, audio and data circuits from Television Centre to London Broadcasting House in conjunction with BBC connectivity partner Atos, to enable early handover of Television Centre site to developers 6 months before schedule.
• Re-Engineering of BBC National radio distribution at W1 for handover to Arqiva (transmission partner) at two central sites rather than several regional centres in UK.
Key Skills Gained:
• Site supervision and management skills, managing health and safety for site personnel.
• Installation and commissioning of ISDN over IP system to distribute incoming primary rate ISDN to individual ISDN codecs in various locations of Salford campus.
• SD and HD video systems, switching and distribution (SAM, Crystal Vision, Harris).
(Transferred to Siemens in 2004 as part of BBC outsourcing of IT Systems and Project Services.)
• Project Management and Engineering skills used on BBC Account across Nations and English Regions. Part of Project Team involved in the technical fitout of new Broadcast Centres at Glasgow (Pacific Quay), Birmingham (Mailbox), Leeds and other radio / TV sites across UK.
• Managed orders and contracts with Telecoms providers, successfully moved TV and Radio transmission feeds to new sites with very little disruption to viewers and listeners.
• Managed installation and commissioning of IP audio and video codecs over IT networks in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland for programme contribution, enabling considerable saving to BBC over traditional broadcast circuits.
Key Skills Gained:
• Enhanced project management skills.
• Increased technical knowledge of IT networks, voice, audio and video over IP networks as well as Wide Area Network and Broadcast circuit connectivity.
• Experience of Cisco and Foundry network equipment, Intraplex, APT, TVIPS and HaiVision multiplex and codec broadcast equipment.
• Installed and maintained IT network and server equipment (3Com, Bay Networks / Nortel, Novell 3.12, Microsoft NT4).
• Migrated World Service clients from legacy coax LAN to ATM backbone, switched network infrastructure and from Novell to Microsoft servers.
• Technical specification and delivery of major server based audio playout trials at BBC World Service.
• Technical specialist on major radio studio refit and control room projects at BBC World Service
• Specified and installed equipment overseas for various bureaux and journalists home offices
• Varied tasks from purchase of studio equipment for foreign rebroadcasters to managing prefabrication and installation of satellite audio receiving equipment racks at UK and overseas transmitter sites.
• Acceptance and maintenance of radio broadcast equipment.
• Operational duties in Control Room and technical areas.
• Small projects for Radio Studio Operations.
Designed and developed audio and control systems for the broadcast audio and voice markets.
PCB design and prototype build. Small scale manufacturing.