About the Role
An exciting opportunity to plan and deliver television production at the BT Studios facility in Stratford, East London. This is a senior role within the Timeline technical team and you will be managing the production of broadcast and multi-platform content for BT Sport, and other major UK networks. In addition to your significant technical knowledge and experience, you will need exceptional communication skills and a customer-focused approach.
In this role you will be responsible for the planning, coordination and technical delivery of studio production and ‘remote’ production on behalf of BT Sport and our other commercial partners.
- You will use your understanding of television broadcast technology (HD, 4K, HDR, IP Networks) to provide innovative technical solutions that meet the needs of our production clients
- You will work collaboratively with our engineering teams to ensure that projects are delivered successfully, and any technical issues are resolved in a timely manner
- You will communicate effectively with our engineering departments so that the technical requirements of each production are fully understood by each team, and are achievable
- You will work to the highest possible standards, with due consideration for the production budget available.
- As the main point of contact for our clients during the planning process - and on the day of the production - you will ensure that the customer experience at BT Studios is unrivalled
- You will work collaboratively with the studio planning team in all aspects of resource planning (technical, operational, commercial), to ensure that we have the right people and equipment in place to deliver successful outcomes
- You will work closely with the Head of Operations to deliver cost effective solutions that meet the requirements of our various clients
- You will be accountable for the operational resources of each production and your responsibilities will include the preparation of studio quotes, ‘day to day’ cost management, and accurate financial reconciliation of the projects under your control
- You will oversee the rig and operation of technical equipment in production control rooms and on the studio floor (cameras, vision systems, AR/VR, lighting, sound, VT), and will work collaboratively with our media systems team to plan the most suitable post production and media workflows
- You will be responsible for studio safety including the management of risk assessments and ‘on the day’ supervision of technical staff, craft specialists and other guests in the studio
- You will support the continued development of internal business systems and processes, including the scheduling and charging of resources through Xytech Media Pulse and Provys
- Provide Ad-hoc duty management support and occasional leave cover as required
- Build and maintain effective working relationships across BT Sport and the Timeline TV business
- Promote BT Studios as a first class destination for production companies and broadcasters
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A proven track record of successful technical delivery with significant experience in a similar role (Technical Manager, Unit Manager, Studio Manager etc)
- Exceptional knowledge of broadcast systems, equipment and technology (cameras, sound, vision, AR/VR, lighting, graphics, EVS), remote and studio-based production workflows, post production and file-based media
- An excellent communicator who can influence at all levels; able to deliver key information in a timely and accurate manner to a range of stakeholders
- Proven customer focused approach that generates repeat business; able to remain calm under pressures and to react tactfully to unusual requests from production clients
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic with leadership experience; able to prioritize a complex workload and to meet deadlines individually, and as part of a collaborative team
- Knowledge of Health and safety legislation, policy and standards including the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HASAWA), Risk Assessments, COSSH, Working at Height, Electricity at Work, Noise, Young People, Manual Handling of Work Equipment
- Commercial experience; able to write a quote, negotiating fair value from suppliers, track costs, and to deliver a project to an agreed production budget
- Able to resolve conflict, and to supervise a multifunctional team of staff and contractors in a ‘live’ production environment
- Experience of working with Xytech, Provys, ScheduALL or a similar scheduling system
- Excellent organizational skills, able to complete tasks quickly and efficiently
- Strong technical planning skills, comfortable with the detail of technical specifications
- An interest in sport or sports broadcasting
Why join Timeline Television?
In addition to being part of a company that is at the forefront of cutting-edge broadcast technology, we offer a range of perks and benefits such as regular social events (Covid permitting of course!), the Cycle to Work scheme, private health care, a medical cashback scheme and a ‘legendary’ Christmas party (again Covid permitting!)! We offer a variety of training and development opportunities and you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of exciting projects.
Please provide us with a copy of your CV and a short cover letter to outline your experience and salary expectations.
The closing date for applications is Monday 18 October.
This post will close before the intended closing date should a sufficient number of suitable applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested in applying, we suggest that you do so at the earliest opportunity to avoid any disappointment.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the Timeline Team – whether that is working in our engineering or technology roles or being part of our non-technical teams. We believe the more diverse our organisation is the more we are reflecting society and ensuring we are selecting from the broadest talent pool.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.