About the Role
An exciting opportunity to work at the BT Studios broadcast facility in Stratford, East London. In this role you will be responsible for the setup, operation and maintenance of lighting systems and equipment across three large-scale television studios, and you will be producing content for BT Sport and a range of other broadcasters.
Main Duties / Key Responsibilities
As a key member of the BT Studios lighting team, you will be responsible for the ‘safe’ provision and operation of lighting equipment to support TV studio production.
- You will work closely with Studio Lighting Directors and other members of the lighting team to support the creative vision of the Production
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with production clients, designers, studio craft specialists, and other members of the Timeline Tech Ops team
- Take responsibility for checking and updating lighting plans, system diagrams, maintenance records and safety documentation
- Enforce Health and Safety policies that relate to the rig, derig and safe operation of studio lighting, and maintain appropriate health and safety documentation
- Liaise with lighting professionals (and external suppliers of lighting services) to ensure that all work complies with the prevailing safety standards and is carried out within the specifications of the BT Sport Studios
- Maintain and operate all lighting equipment according to the manufacturer’s guidelines, unless agreed in advance by the Timeline TVs Senior Management Team
- Ensure that any issues are addressed quickly or escalated to the appropriate person to resolve (Senior Lighting Technician, Technical Manager, Head of Operations)
- Support colleagues in order to deliver the best outcomes for all production clients (some occasional multi-skilling may be required)
- Carry out a ‘risk assessment’ before starting a task that involves working at height, and/or before making modifications to the existing ‘house’ lighting rig.
- Oversee the work of freelance lighting technicians as required
- Plan and coordinate the safe transport, storage and load/unload of hired equipment
- Liaise with all stakeholders (clients, staff, suppliers) to make sure that they are aware of, and comply with, the Health & safety policies at BT Studios
- Always deliver to the highest technical standards, promoting innovation and cost-effective technical solutions where they exist
- Work effectively with the engineering support teams to ensure that any technical issues are resolved in a timely manner
- Maintain effective working relationships across the Timeline TV business
Shift Pattern: This is a shift-based role that requires regular weekend work.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- A proven track record of successful technical delivery, extensive experience in the role of Lighting Technician / Electrician in a studio environment or Entertainment Venue
- Must have a City & Guilds Electrical Qualification (17th / 18th Edition)
- Experience of operating a lighting control desk (ETC Congo, EOS, GrandMA or similar)
- A good communicator who can influence at all levels; able to deliver key information in a timely and accurate manner to a range of stakeholders.
- Strong technical planning skills, comfortable with the detail of technical specifications
- Proven customer focused approach, able to remain calm under the pressures of ‘live’ television, and to react tactfully to unusual requests from production clients
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic; able to prioritize a complex workload and to take on responsibility with minimal supervision
- Able to meet deadlines individually, and as part of a collaborative team
- Able to gain the respect of colleagues and contract workers; willing to support colleagues in order to deliver the best possible outcomes for production and to meet studio deadlines safely
- ‘Hands on’ experience of maintaining lighting equipment, and of keeping accurate and orderly maintenance records. Knowledge of LED automated lighting, networking, and lighting control systems will be highly regarded
- Excellent colour vision
- Excellent organisational skills, able to complete tasks quickly and efficiently.
- Knowledge of Health and safety legislation and standards including: Working at Height, Electricity at Work, Noise, Young People, Manual Handling of Work Equipment, the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HASAWA), Risk Assessments, COSHH
- IOSH, IPAF, RoSPA, Working at Height and First Aid qualifications will be highly regarded
- Able to apply a best practice safety framework (risk assessments, method statements) in a broadcast environment, and to enforce health and safety policies as required
You will be eligible for a variety of employee benefits including but not limited to:
- Private medical insurance
- Healthcare cashback plan
- Life insurance
- Travel insurance
If you would like to be considered for this position then please apply online with a 2 page CV, and short cover letter to outline your experience and salary expectations.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the Timeline Team – whether that is working in our engineering or technology roles or being part of our non-technical teams. We believe the more diverse our organisation is the more we are reflecting society and ensuring we are selecting from the broadest talent pool.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this role.