Summary of Role
The role of the Broadcast Services Department is to deliver an unsurpassed service to our clients. The Fixed Services Master Control Room is currently undergoing an exciting expansion. We handle playout, distribution and transmission of high-profile linear radio, TV, and OTT streaming services for Encompass clients, many of whom are household names.
The MCR Specialist is a new role supporting the MCR team with the specialist aspects of delivering services. This is an operationally hands-on, technically focussed role. You will be responsible for working with operations teams, support engineering, and internal stakeholders to ensure the MCR is delivering an outstanding technical service for our customers. You will work on technical projects with a key role in launching new systems and services into the MCR. You will also support the operations teams by providing additional resource on-shift, carrying out live switching duties, responding to alarms, and liaising with customers and suppliers.
This is a shift-based, key technical role which will work a 3-week rota, normally working shifts for two weeks, followed by one week of office hour working. You will be ‘on-call’ for one week in every three and will be expected to work occasional nightshifts. You will occasionally be asked to change your hours of work dependent on operational requirements, so some flexibility is required.
Key Result Areas:
- Acting as an integral part of each operational shift, provide meal break cover and additional resource for the MCR Supervisors and Operators.
- Act as the technical authority in Fixed Services MCR, including providing out-of-hours support when ‘on-call’ for urgent issues.
- Ensure the broadcast infrastructure is operating at peak efficiency, raising any issues with Engineering.
- Manage the impact of Planned Change on Encompass broadcast operations, working closely with Change Enablers, ensuring that key stakeholders are aware of notified planned change and key mitigations are in place.
- Manage the MCR operational calendar, keeping track of any special requests, ensuring the MCR inbox is appropriately managed.
- Own the Problem Management function in MCR, ensuring that recurring issues are followed up with Engineering & progressed with system manufacturers.
- Ensure MCR technical documentation is up-to-date, identifying gaps in documentation and working with the Lead MCR Specialist to produce or update documentation & drawings where required.
- Follow up on technical incidents, working with the Lead MCR Specialist to identify recurrent issues, raising support tickets and liaising with suppliers / system manufacturers where necessary.
- Work closely with the MCR Service Management Lead to identify trends in outages or operational issues caused by equipment, and implement fixes.
- Ensure that the additional requirements of key, high-profile broadcasts are served for Encompass customers. This may involve changing working hours in order to be on duty in the MCR during event broadcasts.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement within the MCR, regularly feeding into the MCR continuous improvement plan.
Role Specific Skills Required:
- General knowledge and experience of OTT streaming technologies and OTT workflows
- General knowledge and experience of linear radio & television broadcast technologies including playout systems, DVB encoding and multiplexing, connectivity, ASI and IP signal transport, and satellite operations.
- General understanding of Windows & Linux operating systems
- Experience of working with a range of different signal standards including SD & HD video and audio over IP.
- Experience of CRM, Knowledge Base and Ticketing software such as Jira, Confluence and Pikolo iTracker.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to work closely with clients and suppliers, and work constructively with direct colleagues and internal stakeholders.
- Well organised, proactive, and flexible and able to effectively manage own time, prioritise a conflicting workload, and work well under pressure.
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a Master Control Room, Network Operations Centre, or similar Broadcast Operations role involving signal routing and distribution.
- Experience managing Planned Change and working with Change Enablement
- Able to demonstrate end-to-end knowledge of broadcast workflows and the distribution of content via satellite, IP, fibre & cloud
- Experience working in OTT operations and with Content Delivery Networks
- Experience working closely with suppliers and partners to deliver mission-critical services with high availability
- Some project management experience would be desirable.
- Competitive salary
- Performance Recognition Awards
- Pension Scheme, Health Cash Plan, Group Income Protection and Life Assurance
- Cycle to Work Scheme, Season Ticket Loan and many more!
We look forward to hearing from you!