Gravity Media exists to create world-class content that inspires and excites. Our 500 people serve clients in all markets, from sport and media to news and entertainment, working all over the world from bases in the UK, Australia, USA, France, Germany and Qatar. We are driven by client service excellence. We’re always looking and listening, keeping up with the latest broadcast innovations – or pioneering them. Above all, we channel our energy into maintaining our reputation for flawless execution, deep technical expertise and efficient delivery.
OUR BRAND PROMISE
We use the collective power of our people and resources to capture, craft and create – putting our clients at the centre of our universe. We are expert, innovative and reliable; a guiding force in a complex world. It’s what we bring together that sets us apart.
As Project IP Engineer at Gravity Media, you will be responsible for the preparation, delivery and maintenance of extensive flyaway IP hardware and software systems within a TV broadcasting environment. Our business and clients have become increasingly dependent on IP solutions that operate in harmony with traditional baseband technology and TV production practices. You will work under the guidance of the technology leadership team to ensure a high service level of IP based workflows within our OB projects through the application of best practices.
The role primarily involves detailed planning skills as well as practical experience of deploying complex broadcasting systems to high profile global sport/entertainment events.
You will be joining our team of highly skilled and experienced Engineers, who hold a deep understanding of live TV production technology to fit any scenarios. You will be based in our Watford office but will travel extensively, both domestically and internationally.
• Senior systems engineer on fly-away broadcast solutions responsible for the delivery of ST2110 IP systems.
• Determine and validate the IP equipment items required for specific projects based on the overall system specified by the project Engineer in Charge (EIC). This includes all IP endpoint devices, orchestration (control / monitoring) and switch infrastructure equipment.
• Plan network configurations, bandwidth requirements and resilience.
• Ensure that Gravity Media defined best practices and methods are followed, both in planning and on-site deployment.
• Provide input on systems development and best practices to Gravity Media’s broadcast solutions infrastructure.
• Assist, when possible, with relevant technical issues at Gravity Media. This could be in areas such as technical support via the telephone or site visits.
• Assist with training and mentoring colleagues. Watford Base Requirements
• Undertake general routine maintenance and planned work.
• Prepare and test equipment prior to its shipping date.
• Assist in the planning of projects to fulfil the requirements set by the client.
• Research and source ‘equipment solutions’ to client needs if there is no solution available in stock.
• Assist in the preparation of equipment according to technical project documentation
• Identify and repair faulty equipment.
• Remain up to date with evolving technology and process through continuous self-learning and professional development.
This position is based heavily on location which requires a large amount of international travel. Therefore, flexibility and a keen sense of adventure are a key requisite for the position.
Adhering to our company H&S policy and ensuring that all company risk assessments are observed where applicable to your role, taking ownership of improvements and escalating concerns where necessary.
Contribute to the continual improvement of our management systems to ensure compliance with our legal obligations and maintain certification.
• A relevant degree level qualification is desirable but not essential.
• Time management and how-to prioritise workload and tasks.
• Good communicator – able to explain technical workflows, issues, solutions to non-technical personnel.
• Ability to work well under the pressures of a live broadcast environment.
• Willingness to learn outside your comfort zone and immerse yourself in learning new technologies.
• Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite apps, and ability to learn and utilise Google business apps.
• Excellent knowledge and practical experience of ST2110 technology, protocols and equipment.
• Experience with a variety of ST2110 AV processing and edge equipment, demonstrating an excellent knowledge of their application within a wider system.
• Operational knowledge and familiarity with enterprise switch equipment, relevant networking technology and practices related to ST2110 media and management networks.
• For example: PTP, multicast and layer-3 protocols.
• Experience of Cisco Nexus switch equipment is desirable but not essential.
• A working knowledge of NMOS and third-party control protocols is desirable.
• Knowledge and configuration experience with broadcast control systems, monitoring and logging tools.
• Experience of live TV broadcasting workflows and production practices is highly desirable.
• Practical experience of building video and audio IP systems from scratch, including complete configuration, testing, commissioning and support.
• Team working and leadership.
• Strong ability to analyse engineering problems and present simplified and resilient solutions for our clients.
• Good understanding of SDI workflows
• Good understanding of audio and video principles
• Ability to cope with dynamic situations and time pressure.