Job Title: Digital Commissioner – Comedy
Reports to: Head of Digital Commissioning
Location: we would consider applications to work across any of our C4 offices (London, Leeds, Bristol, Glasgow)
The newly created Digital Commissioning Team will be at the heart of C4’s digital acceleration strategy, with the primary mission to create, adapt and innovate content across Channel 4’s online channels. Collaborating with both independent producers and 4Studio, this original content operates as a force to push boundaries through content, talent and form whilst working with stakeholders across the business to hit revenue targets.
To commission and deliver a world class slate of Digital First Content that meets Future 4’s content needs and strategy as well as uphold C4 editorial values. Working with other digital commissioning editors and closely with 4Studio, the Digital Commissioning Editor will lead on brilliant comedy centric original content, along with brand/ad funded projects and their multiplatform execution across Channel 4’s digital channels.
To work with the wider Channel 4 commissioning teams, embedding a social first mind-set to reach new and wider communities.
To always challenge suppliers to create world class, stand out content and oversee the associated compliance, rights and legalities.
Encourage a risk-taking mentality and use of all platforms.
Learn from successes and help to build the digital supplier base across the UK.
Ensuring programmes & content are quality compliant and that the financial slate you are accountable for, is optimised & delivered successfully, and that commissions demonstrate value for money, quality and originality.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Manage the commissioning and delivery of Digital First comedy original and branded content.
- Support 4Studio’s strategy and growth.
- Discover new supplier partnerships to help deliver C4 Digital commissioning creative ambition.
- Work with the branded team and commercial lead to set clear objectives, creative and editorial direction, and frame what success will look like.
- Oversee and executive produce programmes ensuring they are delivered in accordance with the agreed editorial specification.
- Feed learnings, ideas and opportunities back to suppliers and challenge them to think creatively and boldly.
- Work with producers to deliver content on budget, on schedule and to the expected standard.
- Ensure that content is produced to Channel 4’s editorial standards.
- Develop effective working relationships with other departments in the Channel e.g. legal and compliance, marketing, press, scheduling etc.
- Provide a view on expected content volume and supporting budget.
- Work under the Head of Digital Commissioning and alongside the Head of 4Studio to hone the digital comedy strategy and messaging to producers.
- A digital native and Executive Producer with experience of producing a mix of different kinds of digital and multiplatform content across comedy or entertainment genres.
- Proven experience in developing, delivering and optimising content across a wealth of online channels.
- Experience of managing a large number of suppliers simultaneously and their productions end to end.
- Experience working with brands and complex projects.
- An established network of relationships in the digital first production community, including indies, producers and talent across the UK.
- An understanding of the success factors for producing different forms of digital content, over multiple online channels, including demonstrable experience of using data to help inform commissioning strategies.’
- Ability to act decisively and see projects through from inception to completion, problem solve, and multi-task under time constraints and pressure.
- Ability to identify and generate outstanding and innovative ideas that connect with global audiences.
- Ability to work with, direct and get the best out of creative teams and to spot outstanding and unique creative talent.
- Understanding of the success factors for producing different forms of digital content, over multiple online channels.
- Knowledge of the technical delivery of non-linear content.
- Proven sound editorial judgement.
- Strong prioritising and time management skills, demonstrable ability to work to hard deadlines.
- Will be working in a different location to direct line manager so needs to be autonomous and proactively manage communications.
- Demonstrable experience of managing relationships with other departments in the organisation such as Commissioning, Digital Marketing, Social Media teams, Technology, All4 product and delivery teams.
- Ability to understand a creative challenge and relay requirements to technical teams.
- Ability to form an overall plan for supplier delivery.
- Resilient and tenacious.