We have an exciting opportunity for a Frontend Developer to join the Tech & Ops team.
We’re looking for a proactive Front End Developer to join our Front End team. You will be a key member progressing new features and ongoing maintenance, being a great problem solver and team player.
This is a great chance to work as part of an Agile team, with opportunity to develop and grow your skills. Being primarily in the web team you will also have the opportunity to work across the TV apps. You will be working in a fast paced, forward-thinking media company, helping to shape the future of television with high profile consumer-oriented products. You’ll be involved in the planning and scoping of complex projects, in order to facilitate the growth and build of additional functionality across our BVOD products. A proactive nature and keen eye for detail is essential, as is a passion for the world of TV and digital entertainment.
In this role you will get to:
- Build new functionality across the UKTV Play platform for web and TV
- Work with our platform partners to address technical issues
- Feed into the prioritisation of work within the FE development web team
- Influence tech and direction within the team
- Work in an Agile environment, contributing to stand ups, retrospectives, planning sessions and showcases
Gain development experience and knowledge from other front end members of the team as well as external resources
We are looking for someone who has:
- Experience in front end development and web applications
- Come from a computer science background or self-taught
- Experience writing in React/Next.js
- Comfortable working with both cutting edge technologies as well as legacy code
- Enthusiasm to work in Agile development environments
- An interest in unit testing and/or Test Driven Development
Who you are:
- You will have experience in HTML, CSS (including preprocessors) and responsive web design
- Experience using either Next.js and/or, React
- Working with API’s
- Command line usage
- Git version control
- At least one build tool (e.g. Grunt, Gulp, Webpack etc)
- Front end performance best practices
- Cross-browser and cross-device compatibility, including legacy browsers
- Have the commitment and passion to know the product inside out and strive to constantly improve
- Colloborative with strong communication skills, knowing when to loop in other teams
- Recognise the importance of soft skills, to positively impact the wider team
At UKTV, we are working in a hybrid environment with a mixture of home and office working. Getting together in the office as a team and a company gives colleagues an opportunity to build and maintain great relationships, encourages our culture of collaboration and creativity while recognising that colleagues need to have a healthy and happy work-life balance. You’ll agree with your manager the split of time you spend in the office or at home based on the role that you do, how often you come together as a team and your personal preference.
Diversity & Inclusion Commitment
At UKTV, our inclusion vision is to truly represent society in our workforce and on-screen, and create a culture of fairness and respect where we champion difference so that every person feels included and empowered to do their best work. We are committed to ensuring a level playing field at UKTV where all employees and job applicants are given equal opportunity, and that we have diverse voices at the table in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone and we want UKTV to be a place where you can be your authentic self, give your best and develop your career free from discrimination of any kind.
- Develop well-formed and logical code
- Implement new features and bug fixes
- Apply SEO techniques where appropriate
- Implement accessibility features
- Work from supplied designs with a keen attention to detail
- Manage workload proactively alongside project managers and other developers, creating estimates where necessary to respond to quickly changing priorities
- Keep the Senior Frontend Developer regularly informed with progress and issues
- Work as part of an Agile team, contributing to stand-ups, retrospectives, showcases, etc.
- Be aware of ongoing strategic and consumer research and how it affects the evolution of the digital strategy and the broader digital landscape
- Problem solve technical issues that arise, taking a creative view to resolve
- Willingness to learn and become an expert in Next.js
UKTV has been at the forefront of branded television for over 30 years, entertaining the nation with programmes they love. Its leading brands - Dave, Gold, W, Drama, Alibi, Eden and Yesterday - span comedy, entertainment, natural history, factual and drama, and are delivered to audiences through UKTV Play, Freeview, Sky, Virgin Media, BT, TalkTalk, YouView, Freesat and Amazon Fire. The broadcaster is a significant investor in British creativity and is committed to working with new and established writers, directors and programme-makers.
UKTV is part of BBC Studios, the UK's most-awarded production company, a world-class distributor with international branded services, and a commercial subsidiary of the world's leading public service broadcaster, the BBC.