Nekton’s mission is to rapidly accelerate our scientific understanding and protection of the ocean for people and the planet. We work for the ocean. Nekton is a UK-registered charity based in Oxford, UK.
Nekton is actively seeking a multimedia content producer - who has a proven track record of shooting and editing video for broadcast and social media platforms - to join our dynamic team in February and help the Media Director and Communications Manager launch a new international initiative. The role could lead to a full-time opening from May 2023.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced media professional who enjoys taking a hands-on approach and who would be excited to take a project from the drawing board to successful delivery.
Nekton’s goals are audacious so we are looking for an individual with a special blend of communications and content production skills, who revels in innovation and who understands what it takes to tell stories in ways that are culturally appropriate to capture public and media attention worldwide.
This role will take consummate professionalism, maturity and good humour - a “glass half-full person” who is able to utilise in-house and outsourced resources creatively and cost-effectively to drive rapid development.
Nekton’s success is based on being inspiring and trusted explorers, scientists, and storytellers. You will be instrumental in the next stage of that journey, telling the ocean story both onshore and at sea in creative ways that inform, educate and entertain.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Works across the media and launch event team as a multi-skilled, multimedia producer creating, editing and curating content and providing additional production support for event management.
Launch Campaign (Feb-April 2023)
- Responsible for the production of video and photographic content for news and social media distribution and on the project website, delivering consistency of brand and communications messaging across all platforms.
- Working with the Media Director and Communications Manager to commission and manage content production from freelance producers in the UK and internationally to support content creation needs around launch.
- Responsible for the production of content products for launch including presentations, brochures, infographics, installations and marketing materials.
- Working with the Media Director and Communications to develop and deliver social media campaigns around launch.
- Manages digital newsroom assets, curates website and digital platforms including familiarisation with Search Engine Optimisation, and authors all posts and reactive engagement on owned digital platforms.
- Develops, in liaison with the science and data teams, a media management workflow which maximises efficiency and creates internal and external value.
Post Campaign (full-time – April/May 2023+)
- Role expands to travelling globally to film, edit and post content on Expeditions at sea and on shore.
- Curates the media stills and video archive
- Responsible for upkeep of filming and production equipment
Digital & Social media production:
- Works with the Media Director and Communications Manager to develop and deliver social media campaign with a social media agency including:
- Develop, plan and implement effective paid media strategies.
- Curate and optimise paid ad campaigns across channels including: Paid search, Google Ad Grant ads, Social media ads – (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Develop, launch and curate new competitions and campaigns that promote the organisation and brand
- Generate, edit, publish and share engaging social media content on owned channels:
- Oversee the day-to-day handling of all social media channels such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok and YouTube, adapting content to suit different channels
- Oversee, plan and deliver content across different platforms using Hootsuite
- Engage with and facilitate social media communities by responding to social media posts and developing discussions
- Form key relationships with influencers across social media platforms.
- Monitor, track, analyse and report on performance on social media platforms using tools such as Google Analytics and Facebook insights.
- Analyse competitor activity.
- Recommend improvements to increase performance.
- Set targets to increase brand awareness and increase customer engagement.
- Source content from project partners and the scientific community to promote on owned social channels and / or to edit and then promote on owned social channels.
- Oversee digital newsroom content, website and digital platforms including Search Engine Optimisation, monitoring web and social traffic metrics, and website is current at all times.
- A confident, proactive and independent self-starter able to work quickly, flexibly and responsively in a fast-changing environment
- Highly organised, detail oriented, strong editorial
- Experience in organising and undertaking international travel and overseeing expedition logistics
- Enjoys problem solving
- Strong written and oral communication skills within a team and with stakeholders (science, academic, media, business, government, civil society)
- Experience of international ocean, climate or environmental media, reporting or production project delivery and participation in multi-dimensional international projects
- Experience within international Event Production, news, social and / or TV production
- Experience of working with multiple international partners
- Understanding of sea going expeditions or science (ideally marine science)
- Experience of international production challenges
Start- As soon as possible from 1 Feb 2023
Location- Hybrid including c. 2 days at central Oxford HQ
Contract- Full-time, February to April 2023 with possible extension to full-time post launch
Reporting to- Media Director
Working with- Communications Manager, Science Team