Gravity Media exists to create world-class content that inspires and excites. Our 500 people serve clients in all markets, from sport and media to news and entertainment, working all over the world from bases in the UK, Australia, USA, France, Germany and Qatar.
We are driven by client service excellence. We’re always looking and listening, keeping up with the latest broadcast innovations – or pioneering them. Above all, we channel our energy into maintaining our reputation for flawless execution, deep technical expertise and efficient delivery.
OUR BRAND PROMISE
We use the collective power of our people and resources to capture, craft and create – putting our clients at the centre of our universe. We are expert, innovative and reliable; a guiding force in a complex world. It’s what we bring together that sets us apart.
The successful candidate will lead a gallery team with passion and energy, to create compelling storytelling across a Riot Games’ wide variety of live Esports productions.
This position requires an experienced director that has live event directing experience, along with demonstrated experience developing and leading teams. The ideal candidate must always exhibit professionalism, authority, a strong work ethic, in combination with a positive attitude, focus on mentorship and consistently responsible behaviour. The ability to learn the rhythm and flow of new sports and games is a critical component for success in this role.
Based in Project Stryker, a World Class Remote Broadcast Centre, the successful candidate will be expected to provide senior overall management of day-to-day production operations while implementing a creative vision. Troubleshooting, making critical decisions, and acting as a creative and production leader for the production will form the foundation of the role.
- The Director will collaborate with various stakeholders to develop and sculpt show ideas, show segments, promotional pieces, marketing initiatives and special projects; planning execution logistics and pursuing ways to enhance and improve the production value of assigned projects or shows.
- They shall convey editorial and technical direction to crew, talent, and others as needed to build and accurately execute a clean show. Conduct pre-event camera meetings remotely or in-person.
- Responsibilities shall include multi camera studio and outside broadcast direction, including rundown creation, graphics and EVS playback, camera blocking and framing, as well as audio, lighting, and talent cues.
- Provide creative vision for existing and new clients, devoting time and effort into developing relationships, while leading day to day engagement with key client stakeholders.
- The successful candidate will be expected to attend pre and post meetings to develop best solutions to technical challenges and to provide creative input on studio development, graphics, and general on-air presentation.
- From time to time, directors may also be utilised in secondary functions such as producer, replay producer, graphics producer and other roles as may be required from time to time.
Adhering to our company H&S policy and ensuring that all company risk assessments are observed where applicable to your role, taking ownership of improvements and escalating concerns where necessary.
- Degree in Communications or Broadcasting related field or equivalent work experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have excellent working knowledge of the production/broadcast environment.
- Passion for Sport/ Esport.
- Demonstrated strong technical knowledge of all traditional control room, studio, and field production systems with the ability to understand, troubleshoot and resolve most operations issues to minimise production impact.
- Demonstrated experience leading, developing and managing a production team.
- Excellent multi-tasking, time management, organisational skills and demonstrated attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work well with other people in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to make smart decisions and adapt to changes, especially under fast paced, stressful conditions.
- Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite apps, and ability to learn and utilise Google business apps.
- Demonstrated can-do attitude to accomplish tasks.
- Available to work flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
This position will have access to sensitive information and, as such, must be managed with great integrity. Professional, unbiased, and credible behaviours in this role are essential at all times.
- Communication – the ability to speak and produce documentation that can be clearly understood by others, using appropriate vocabulary, grammar, style, and communication tools.
- Teamwork – a sense of team can make a significant difference in whether you meet or fail your objectives. Team meetings are required to share information, tips and successes are essential. Just as important is creating and maintaining the bond across the team.
- Initiative – the willingness to move things forward by taking action without needing to be asked and without due escalation.
- Resilience – the ability to cope with difficulty, negotiate obstacles, to optimise performance in the face of adversity. Take rejection as a personal challenge to succeed with the next client and turn a loss into a development opportunity.
- Organising Work – the ability to marshal and manage resources (people, funding, materials, and support) to achieve a task. Able to manage your time efficiently, to handle multiple activities in parallel to accomplish goals. Be conscientious and take great pride in your work.
- Inquisitive – the ability to ask appropriate questions and understand the implications.
- Analysis – the ability to gather relevant information, notice relationships between different pieces of information, reason from cause to effect and generate effective solutions to practical problems.
- Interpersonal Sensitivity – the ability to recognise clearly and accurately others’ points of view, feelings and needs and the willingness to take these into account.
- Integrity – the willingness to adhere to social, ethical, professional, and organisational standards. Be respectful and listen to others.
- Achievement Orientation – the determination to set oneself and meet high standards, exceeding norms and expectations.
- Judgement – the ability to be rational, objective, and unbiased when making decisions or taking action.
- Visionary – the ability to demonstrate personal commitment to Company goals in an energetic way so as to motivate others and create an environment where the core values are realised.
- 5+ years directing live multi-camera production, preferably in a sport or Esports environment
- 3+ years of team leadership experience.
- The ideal candidate will have live studio and outside broadcast experience directing and switching high paced multi-camera television production. Experience of remote production is a significant plus. Experience with directing remote camera crews for centralised remote productions is an important requirement.
- They must be a collaborative team player who works well with others in a fast paced, dynamic studio and outside broadcast environment, and must possess excellent interpersonal & communication skills.
- They shall demonstrate a proven ability to prioritise instantly, plan for contingencies, & keep pace with fast moving shows. This includes the ability to multitask, while working under considerable pressure.
- The candidate must have excellent communication skills with the proven ability to “call” a show in a clear, efficient manner that can be followed by all, and have the demonstrated ability to maintain control of the production team and the show during stressful time.
- Be able to identify, critique and assist in the creation of high production value including the direction of all production elements, taking full advantage of the capabilities of the video production switcher, cameras, EVS playback and server content playback, along with available traditional and augmented reality graphic devices, audio, and lighting.
- Experience self-operating vision mixing desks is a significant plus (Sony & Grass Valley).
- Must have a sound understanding of the technical inner workings of a live production setting and the broader broadcast technology landscape.
- Execute pre-event checklists and schedule and manage pre-event production meetings with crew.
- Work with management to lead production teams, production crew development and team building.
- Be available as the first point of contact during assigned hours, to address production issues that arise.
- Participate in development of ideas and implementation of process improvements for Director / TDs.
- Report, via written shift notes, any personnel or equipment issues to the appropriate Manager and next shift team lead.
- Provide pre and post-production performance feedback and critiques as needed including performance feedback on production team members.
- Act as line manager for various production roles.