Senior Analyst –14 mth FTCReports to:
This role sits within the All 4 department in Channel 4. All 4 is one of the biggest and youngest skewing UK broadcaster video-on-demand services, with over 10,000 hours of content, over 5m monthly viewing accounts, and 75% of UK 16-34s registered with the service.
It’s home to some of the biggest and noisiest shows on TV, from Gogglebox to Derry Girls, It’s A Sin to Come Dine With Me. All 4 is available on over 20 different platforms including TVs, mobiles and PCs, and the department is tasked with making sure that no matter where it’s consumed, the experience is as easy and enjoyable as possible.
In the Analytics team, we work across almost every area of the business that needs VOD data, and Analysts have a lot of autonomy and influence. It’s our job to help our stakeholders make better, data-driven decisions, by shedding light on how viewers are behaving – and this means we find ourselves working on a wide, fascinating, and ever-changing range of projects.
We work particularly closely with our colleagues in the wider Experiments, Analytics & Insight team to push hypotheses through a test & learn framework, to answer questions comprehensively, and inspire real change.
All 4+ is the premium tier of All 4, which currently enables users to enjoy our content ad-free for a monthly fee. We have ambitious plans to grow All 4+ over the next 5 years and this role will be pivotal in enabling that growth. JOB PURPOSE
You’ll live and breathe our All 4 data. You will be the expert in our All 4 metrics: observing and proactively reporting on trends, spotting issues and opportunities. You’ll also running deep dives into specific areas and work closely with our experimentation and insight teams to bring a rounded and actionable perspective on viewer behaviour. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Telling the stories behind our behavioural dataset, focusing on delivering actionable insight whatever form it may take (dashboards, presentations, conversations)
- Manipulating a range of data sets, some of which are clean and structured but some that’ll be new and challenging; creating data structures that enable exploration
- Responding to a mix of urgent smaller requests and longer more exploratory questions
- Building a strong relationship with the growth team, translating their insight requirements into well-defined pieces of analysis
- Working closely with the rest of the Experiments, Analytics & Insight team, drawing on each other’s strengths to maintain our reputation for high quality work
- Becoming an expert on all the behavioural data we collect, helping the team to look at existing data in new ways and to explore new data sources
- Learning new skills, and putting them into practice so we’re continually improving
- Managing your workload to ensure that you’re working on things that are either high priority or high potential impact – ideally both!
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- The ability to analyse data from scratch, breaking down complex or loose questions into creative and logical analyses all within relatively short timeframes
- Getting a kick out of problem solving, as most questions will need careful thought, planning, and an enthusiasm to overcome obstacles
- Experience in using SQL on complex datasets (the recruitment process will include a quick SQL test)
- Some experience using Microsoft tools, particularly Excel, PowerPoint & Teams
- A solid understanding of big data and the ability to manipulate and get meaningful stories from long datasets (often billions of rows) as efficiently as possible
- Genuine enthusiasm to learn new skills; training and switching to new tools and methods is standard practice
- Brilliant communication skills (verbal, written and presentational) – the ability to explain complex information in simple terms
- Close attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy
- You have a good understanding of the TV market and like to keep up to date with changes in it
- You’re interested in All 4 and Channel 4 – and ideally, you’re already brimming with ideas about what you’d explore or improve if you were in this role
- Experience doing analytics in subscription businesses (Media or beyond)
- Experience using Python or R for data analysis
- Adobe Analytics
- Some experience in Tableau (or PowerBI), particularly to explore data and make user friendly dashboards
- Some understanding of data science techniques & machine learning
- Experience in project management, consulting, or business analysis
- A flair for visual best practices and presentation of data
- A good understanding of data architecture and how businesses’ data needs are evolving
- An advanced knowledge of statistics, and experience applying them in the real world