Senior Solutions Architect, Marketing and Viewer ExperiencesReports to:
Head of Marketing & Viewer Experiences Technology with dotted to Channel Chief ArchitectDepartment:
London Expected travel:
An exciting opportunity to join the UK’s biggest free streaming service
All 4 is Channel 4’s video-on-demand proposition, home to original and exclusive shows, box sets of iconic series, as well as live and catch-up TV from C4’s broadcast channels.
Available as an app on over 20 different platforms including mobiles, tablets, PCs, smart TVs, and games consoles, as well as being syndicated to the likes of Sky and Virgin. All 4 reaches 3.5 million weekly viewers and has more than two thirds of all 16-34s in the UK as registered users.
The All 4 team is responsible for creating the best possible user experience on owned-and-operated platforms, one that is both seamless and engaging, and that encourages visitors to become viewers, to view more, and to return more often. DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION
All 4 Technology team are part of Marketing and Viewer Experiences, Technology and are responsible for delivering any change to how the viewer interacts with us by seeing, hearing and experiencing via digital and non-broadcast channels. The role is predominantly focussed on All 4 and will expand in scope as Channel 4 delivers on growth plans.
The Marketing and Viewer Experiences, Technology team is part of the wider Technology organisation. who owns, establish, monitors and maintains IT and broadcast systems and services to serve out TV and VoD viewers, and enable business users to carry out their roles efficiently, productively and securely. The department must stay at the forefront of technology change to meet multiple business requirements, provide secure IT infrastructure, and proactively support C4 strategic growth opportunities.JOB PURPOSE
This exciting role will shape and define the technology strategy for All 4. This role focuses on providing Architectural support for our suite of video streaming platforms. You will be responsible for progressing the technical infrastructure, platform architecture and a strong emphasis on supporting the evolution of the All 4 platform under the guidance of the Head of Marketing & Viewer Experiences, technology and Chief Architect. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLSProfessional & Technical Skills
- Assist in the development and maintenance of target blueprints for the Channel’s client facing systems and supporting infrastructures. The individual will be capable of working a several levels within the technology stack of a given application, from UI downwards.
- Assist multiple application development teams, both internal and external, in the delivery of the Product Feature Roadmap for websites, native applications and supporting services, in accordance with the architecture blueprints.
- Balancing adherence to our architectural blueprints with providing timely architectural support to projects in a pragmatic but purposeful way, engaging and influencing disparate stakeholders as required.
- Provide general technical due diligence support for the business to assist them when evaluating new technology based business opportunities.
- Maintain technical credibility with, and therefore the ability to influence, our development teams (Internal & External) by taking a “hands on” approach to the role. The role holder must be willing to get involved with tech leads, developers, testers, and business analysts at a detailed level when the situation requires it.
- To monitor advances in Information Technology and identify opportunities to leverage emerging technologies in innovative ways to provide business benefit within Channel Four. Where appropriate, undertake limited PoC (Proof of Concept) activities to better assess the potential of new technology.
- Making decisions regarding All 4 technological needs and integrating into the wider Technology organisation
- You have a track record of building a collaborative team culture, with a genuine interest and desire to coach, mentor and progress your team, using your architecture background
- You will manage the design and architecture of the extensive application estate and the demand placed on your team, ensuring that artefacts and design standards are delivered to time and to quality.
- Represent and actively participate in the wider Channel 4 governance and Architecture communities with the Chief Architect and other technology teams
- You will build strong and trusted relationships with marketing, product and technology stakeholders
- Support the effective translation of business requirements into solution architecture and design and technical product roadmaps.
- Ensure the management of technical debt to support long-term sustainable development.
- You will have experience of designing and implementing change in complex multi supplier eco system across live streaming and VoD.
Autonomy, Judgement and Decision Making
- You have broad architectural experience based on practical experience gained working in a systems development environment, ideally working on high profile, large scale applications from feasibility to implementation.
- You will have significant experience in media with live streaming and VoD.
- Expert experience in the design and implementation of a diverse range of technology solutions:
- Services, data communications, web-based technologies, service-based technologies, performance, scalability, maintainability, deployment, operations, technology infrastructure and security.
- Service-Oriented and Domain based Architectures
- Business Process Orchestration Workflow and ESB
- Object-oriented, functional and Scripting programming languages
- Development technologies including Java, NET, HTML
- Development techniques including Scrum, Kanban and Waterfall
- Experience of implementing COTS and SaaS software packages
- Web applications architecture
- Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
In an environment where deliverables are often tied to broadcast and/or commercial schedules, pragmatism and pace become critical to successful project delivery. This role will be expected to reach decisions regarding application architectures in a timely manner while remaining broadly within the overall direction set by our strategy.
In reaching a decision, the individual must be able to balance multiple perspectives such as overall strategic priorities, specific project priorities, financial factors and technology related factors. Complexity and Problem Solving
- Ability to present technical solution design options and justification to all levels of the organisation, as well as manage expectations when balancing solution alternatives against business constraints and technological realities.
- You will be called on to aid with problem determination. Such problems will concern issues identified during development or, on occasion, in live applications and are often extremely complex and convoluted in nature.
- The ability to approach such problems logically, using a process of elimination is essential.