A little bit more about our team:
The Insight & Strategy team sits at the heart of UKTV, feeding into all areas of the business including Strategy, Editorial, Marketing, Scheduling, Commissioning and Digital. We pride ourselves on having a strong team culture and take a collaborative approach to everything we do. UKTV’s desire to understand our viewers puts the Insight team in a highly valued position within the company.
Purpose of the role:
A high-impact opportunity to take an active role in developing and executing strategic growth initiatives across UKTV and BBC Studios UK. Reporting into the Head of Strategy & New Growth, the Strategy Manager will collaborate extensively with stakeholders across UKTV and BBC Group in the development of operational strategies and new growth initiatives.
In this role you will get to:
· Work in a high-performance and high-visibility position with a remit focused on collaboration with cross-functional colleagues and direct contribution to strategy and new growth opportunity development across UKTV and the wider BBC Studios business
· Be responsible for maintaining a robust outlook on industry developments, act as an “early warning system” on market changes and synthesise the potential impact to UK business priorities.
· Collaborate with Insight colleagues to interpret changing consumer behaviour and broadcast value chain evolution to identify areas that represent interesting commercial opportunities for UKTV and the wider BBC Studios business.
What you will do (role specific)
· Interpret changing consumer behaviour and identify areas that represent interesting commercial opportunities for UKTV.
· Examine technological changes, assess their impact on the market and identify opportunities for UKTV
· Work with the Head of Strategy and New Growth to evaluate new growth initiatives and business models for UKTV.
· Review competitor strategies, activities and performance – benchmark UKTV against industry to identify areas of focus for improved performance or new opportunities.
· Generate insight about the future of media markets and translate this into commercial implications.
· Provide on-going objective assessment of existing business activities and re-prioritisation / refocusing as and when necessary.
· Give regular updates to senior management team on key insights from the above.
We are looking for someone who has:
· Experience in a strategic or analytical role within a fast paced, results-driven environment and can identify strategic opportunities then translate them into executable plans
· The ability to deal with, and influence multiple, senior stakeholder
· A strong commitment to performance improvement and operational optimisation
Who you are:
· Experience in a strategic or analytical role within a fast paced, results-driven environment
· Demonstrable experience creating compelling arguments and using insights to inform a clear direction for business; adept at delivering business and market analyses for long and mid-term planning.
· Knowledge of, and passion for, the broadcast and digital landscape/market
· Highly numerate and analytical with a structured approach to problem solving; able to apply strategic frameworks and draw from multiple data sources, financial statements, and audience measurements
· Financial modelling, and experience of strategic frameworks and methodology, would be valuable technical skills
· able to successfully manage multiple senior stakeholders to build trusted relationships and create and maintain a sense of momentum around strategic projects
· Excellent cross-functional communication and stakeholder management skills
· Strong presentation skills – verbally and written; capable of conveying complex concepts in simple, concise, terms and of tailoring their presentation style of delivery to suit their audience
· An engaging, energetic manner that can inspire and galvanise colleagues
· Good lateral thinker with the ability to deal with ambiguity yet still deliver clear conclusions
· A team player with strong interpersonal skills possessing the confidence to engage, influence and challenge senior members of the company
· A multi-tasker who has the skill to proactively manage multiple projects and the ability to adapt to change and operate in uncertainty
· Strong problem solving skills with ability to scope, structure and solve complex strategic issues with high levels of ambiguity
At UKTV, we are working in a hybrid environment with a mixture of home and office working. Getting together in the office as a team and a company gives colleagues an opportunity to build and maintain great relationships, encourages our culture of collaboration and creativity while recognising that colleagues need to have a healthy and happy work-life balance. You’ll agree with your manager the split of time you spend in the office or at home based on the role that you do, how often you come together as a team and your personal preference.
Diversity & Inclusion Commitment
At UKTV, our inclusion vision is to truly represent society in our workforce and on-screen, and create a culture of fairness and respect where we champion difference so that every person feels included and empowered to do their best work. We are committed to ensuring a level playing field at UKTV where all employees and job applicants are given equal opportunity, and that we have diverse voices at the table in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone and we want UKTV to be a place where you can be your authentic self, give your best and develop your career free from discrimination of any kind.
UKTV has been at the forefront of branded television for over 25 years, entertaining the nation with programmes they love. Its leading brands - Dave, Gold, W, Drama, Alibi, Eden and Yesterday - span comedy, entertainment, natural history, factual and scripted drama, and are delivered to audiences through UKTV Play, Freeview, Sky, Virgin Media, BT, TalkTalk, YouView, Freesat and Amazon Fire. The broadcaster is a significant investor in British creativity and is committed to working with new and established writers, directors and programme-makers.
UKTV is part of BBC Studios, the UK’s most-awarded production company, a world-class distributor with international branded services, and a commercial subsidiary of the world’s leading public service broadcaster, the BBC.
We’re UKTV. We’re here to create TV with personality.
In a world where ‘finding something to watch’ means searching endless streams of automated sameness, we believe in creating TV experiences with more personality, that champions diversity of talent both on & off screen.
We’re here to bring you a more personal type of TV: Channels and services that get you, with programmes that are hand-picked for their quality and available on any device - all crafted by fans for fans.
We’re a different kind of broadcaster. One that’s on a mission to become the UK’s most successful non-PSB network.
The place that fans turn to first for the genres they love. Admired in our industry as the feisty challenger. Powered by brilliant ideas not blockbuster budgets, we’ll push ourselves to build even more engaging brands, to create and curate more imaginative programmes to form powerful partnerships and to use technology in ever more innovative ways.
As the world of TV rapidly evolves so will we; by continuing to support our brilliant people to do their best work in a uniquely diverse, creative and inclusive culture.
All in the spirit of entertaining and growing the communities of fans who love our shows as much as we do.