Senior Commissioning Editor, ComedyDepartment
: Comedy Location
: LondonDEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION
The multi award winning Comedy Department is one of the key commissioning areas at Channel 4. It’s commissioning brief is diverse and covers all scripted comedy across Channel 4, E4 and All4 including Derry Girls, Stath Let’s Flats, This Way Up, Feel Good, The Windsors, Friday Night Dinner, Catastrophe, Flowers, Chewing Gum, Game Face, Home, Dead Pixels and Maxxx.
The comedy team is tight knit, passionate, hard-working, clever, connected and collaborative.
This role is for a senior, confident, team player; a person driven to make a difference to comedy output, a person with passion, experience and expertise in scripted comedy. They must show a deep understanding of audiences as well as proven diversity of thought and hit show making.
Above all it’s a person with a vision who can support the comedy indie community in the art of making people laugh.JOB PURPOSE
- To find, commission and editorially oversee successful scripted comedy programmes
- To help maintain C4’s position as the best place for new, original and mainstream comedy across the whole of the UK.
- The role involves collaborating creatively with production companies, writers, off and on-screen talent and enabling them to understand audiences and priorities diversity of thought.
- To use their skills to support the Head of Comedy and align with the departmental strategy.
- To discover, develop, commission, and editorially approve quality hit shows for c4, E4 and All4.
- Ensure that comedy programmes are integrated into the wider Channel 4 vision and values.
- Manage creative relationships with the comedy production community (indies and talent) to ensure delivery of exceptional award-winning ideas and projects.
- Ensure editorial quality in our commissions, overseeing any complexities, challenges and difficulties that arise.
- Identify fresh scripted talent to bring to the channel – on and off screen – from a diverse variety of perspectives and backgrounds.
- Work effectively with other parts of the Channel – e.g. legal and compliance, marketing, press, online, scheduling and business affairs to make sure our shows are well supported.
- To do the above whilst meeting and managing budgets.
DESIRABLE (Depending on experience)
- Demonstrable experience of working at Head of Department, Executive Producer or Commissioner level, on mainstream hit shows (as well as development) in scripted comedy
- Proven relationship builder well networked with on and off scree talent across comedy television production
- Encyclopaedic knowledge of current TV industry comedy output and a clear understanding of C4’s point of difference and key competitors.
- Creative gamechanger and proven ability in identifying exceptional ideas, scripts and writers.
- Strong managerial and relationship skills when dealing with producers and suppliers.
- Proven strong script editing skills and reputation for good notes essential
- Passion and awareness of digital comedy content, emerging platforms and online talent.
- Exceptional personal integrity and insight into the Channel 4 brand and values.
- Exceptional communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to self-start and take initiative.
- Demonstrable experience of dealing with co-pro partners and distributors.
- Demonstrable experience of working with the digital sector.
- Demonstrable experience of financial, legal and compliance issues around television production.
- Demonstrated understanding of how budgets are planned for a television programme and how this relates to the commissioning process.