A little bit about our team
The Business & Legal Affairs team provide all the business and legal affairs support for the UKTV business, from commissioning and content acquisition through to distribution of our television channels and our on demand service, UKTV Play. The team is fully integrated in to the business and works very closely with colleagues across Commissioning, Programming, Commercial, Technology & Operations, Strategy and Marketing. The team is involved in all the key deals and projects for the business and is known for its expertise and collaboration. The team is also part of the wider BBC Studios Business & Legal Affairs family and as such benefits from access to colleagues with specialist expertise as well as to a fully developed professional learning and development programme.
Purpose of the role
This role leads the Business & Legal Affairs team in relation to all commercial, technology and operational matters for the UKTV business (effectively all matters other than the acquisition of content). As such it is responsible for leading the provision of high quality and responsive business and legal affairs advice across many aspects of the business.
The post reports to the General Counsel for UKTV and works very closely with the Commercial, Digital/VOD, Technology and Operations, Strategy and Marketing teams at UKTV. The role would suit someone who is curious, driven and passionate about the television and media industry and how it is constantly evolving .
This is a great opportunity to lead a high-performing and perfectly formed legal team, to work across a broad range of matters, making an important contribution to our growth strategy (across VOD and linear) and to build relationships within the UKTV business and the BBC Group. We are a team that works very flexibly and would welcome applicants who want to discuss different working patterns. We are also a team that champions inclusion and are committed to bringing diverse voices to the table. We welcome applications from everyone and will do our best to help you feel yourself at work and to grow and develop in our team.
In this role you will get to¿
- Lead a high-performing and collaborative business and legal affairs team
- Work across a range of deals and business affairs matters, contributing to the growth strategy of UKTV and particularly our digital ambitions
- Build strong relationships across the UKTV business and the BBC Group
We are looking for someone who has¿
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience supporting a digital business in the UK.
- A qualification of being a solicitor / legal practitioner with experience of operating at a senior level
- Extensive experience of advising on, negotiating and contracting commercial agreements
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate and develop a high performing team
Who you are…
- Qualified solicitor (if not UK qualified, hold or eligible to hold a UK practising certificate under SRA rules).
- Extensive experience of advising on, negotiating and contracting complex technology, operations and digital distribution agreements; experience of leading and delivering complex projects/deals;
- Drafting and negotiation (both in writing and face to face) to a high standard.
- Demonstrates excellent leadership, people management and motivational skills and has experience of effectively managing a diverse team.
- Experience of managing teams through change and implementing strategic initiatives.
- Takes a proactive and flexible approach to work and comfortable with a dynamic environment with constantly changing priorities.
- Experienced at building trusted relationships with key stakeholders and positively influencing at senior management level
- Good interpersonal skills and excellent written and oral communication skills, in particular ability to explain and analyse complex concepts or situations clearly and succinctly.
- Approaches conflicts, trade-offs, challenges and risks dispassionately, pragmatically and collaboratively, seeking the best overall solution for the business.
- Is fully conversant with overall and specific market/competitor knowledge and demonstrates sound commercial/business judgement.
- Experience advising on consumer law and data protection issues, ideally in the context of a D2C video services;
- Good understanding of TV landscape in the UK and the models deployed by different platforms in the market ¿ linear and on demand; an understanding of the advertising market and the dynamics within it
- Comprehensive and up to date understanding of legal areas most frequently impacting our business (contract law, intellectual property law and relevant consumer law and regulatory codes); Communication Act 2003, Ofcom Codes and other forms of broadcast/media regulation; IP law, contract law, consumer law; data protection (particularly in relation to digital services and targeted advertising); the various forms of digital communication technology and issues/challenges these present; the TV industry and its current issues and challenges; advertising technology.
- Resilient with the ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure, effectively managing stakeholder expectations.
- Ability to work as part of a team but to work reliably independently referring whenever appropriate.
- A genuine passion for TV
What you will do…
Provide inspirational leadership and support career development and talent retention for the Commercial BLA team and create the environment for them to do their best work
Be a key member of the BLA leadership team, and with the General Counsel and Director of BLA - Content leading by example in maintaining a culture of trust and empowerment and promoting and championing learning, improved ways of working, collaboration, creativity and diversity.
Lead and manage a team of high performing lawyers responsible for all commercial (non-content) contracts at UKTV, including channel and app distribution, technology and software (including TV playout, encryption and satellite capacity). In particular this includes strategic input into, negotiating, drafting and advising on:
- The development of our VOD proposition, UKTV Play, and our wider digital presence
- Complex distribution agreements for UKTV¿s portfolio of channels and digital services
- Marketing campaigns and sponsorship agreements, demonstrating a good level of awareness of industry norms, and practical and commercial issues
- Technology agreements, outsourcing agreements, platform arrangements, facilities agreements and NDAs as required
- UKTV¿s major revenue generating contract for advertising sale
- a wide variety of other commercial, digital, technology and operational matters
Advise on all consumer law aspects of operating a D2C VOD service including data protection.
Advise on IP issues including copyright and trademarks.
Carry out legal risk assessment and implement measures to minimise UKTV¿s exposure to legal risk.
Manage policy, process and template documents, working closely with stakeholders across the business and at BBC Studios and support the General Counsel on governance, compliance and risk matters generally.
Act as a lead to the business in all relevant fields of law and industry, ensuring the business is kept updated on all relevant regulatory developments.
Diversity & Inclusion Commitment
At UKTV, our inclusion vision is to truly represent society in our workforce and on-screen, and create a culture of fairness and respect where we champion difference so that every person feels included and empowered to do their best work. We are committed to ensuring a level playing field at UKTV where all employees and job applicants are given equal opportunity, and that we have diverse voices at the table in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone and we want UKTV to be a place where you can be your authentic self, give your best and develop your career free from discrimination of any kind.