Comux UK Ltd (“Comux”) is licensed by the Office of Communications (“Ofcom”) to provide the digital terrestrial television (“Freeview”) multiplex for the Local TV network in the UK. In addition to providing the Freeview carriage for all licensed Local TV services, it also carries commercial TV services for a well-known international television network operator which are broadcast across the Comux network.
Comux is responsible for the end-to-end transmission process including the contribution from the Local TV and national TV licensees, multiplexing, distribution and transmission to each of the licensed locations from its Network Operations Centre in Birmingham.
Comux aims to operate an efficient multiplex infrastructure to support a sustainable Local TV sector including by providing financial distributions to its Local TV shareholders. The company is co-owned by all Local TV licensees.
To manage technical operations at the Comux Network Operations Centre in Birmingham, including all technical staff and technical facilities, which provide 24/7 broadcast operations to circa 34 channels on the UK DTT platform.
- To oversee the smooth running and maintenance of all technical systems necessary for the delivery of Comux services to its broadcast customers.
- To manage all technical staff including recruitment, induction, training, supervision, guidance and support, and the carrying out of performance appraisals
- To manage the staff rota system for 24/7 support including approving leave requests and sickness absence, and arranging shift cover where necessary.
- To manage relations with and monitor performance of third party suppliers of technical services including networks, multiplex systems and transmission.
- To maintain a problem reporting system and to ensure technical operational faults are resolved in a timely manner to assure 24/7 operations and quality of service.
- To manage relations with customers including responding to queries, handling complaints and providing relevant updates on system changes and developments.
- To manage planned works to minimize the effects upon service availability.
- To undertake ad hoc system changes, configurations and improvements as required.
- 9. To oversee technical development and upgrade projects and effectively plan and implement these in consultation with the General Manager and stakeholders.
- 10. To provide a monthly technical operations report to the General Manager.
- 11. Other reasonable tasks as may be required by the General Manager.
- Appropriate technical qualifications or equivalent experience in IT, broadcast engineering, telecoms or a related field
- Ability to isolate, analyse and solve technical problems under demanding conditions.
- Previous management experience and the ability to provide a sympathetic and positive approach to staff, stakeholders and licensees,
- Ability to prioritise own workload to meet deadlines and colleagues’ expectations
- Excellent literacy, numeracy and report writing skills.
- Willingness to work out of hours as and when required, including evenings and some weekends.
- Knowledge of health and safety measures and compliance
- A full driving license valid in the UK
- Previous experience in broadcast services provision
General Requirements for Comux UK Ltd Posts
Comply with Comux Ltd published policies and procedures and at all times work within the spirit and scope of its Equality and Diversity Policies.
To maintain and develop personal skills and knowledge through appropriate training.
To perform own administrative duties.
To be able to work antisocial hours as required by the post.
Conditions of Service:
Responsible to: General Manager
Location: Innovation Birmingham Campus,
Faraday Wharf, Holt Street,
The post is based on site and not working remotely
Hours: 40 hours per week