The Comux network, serviced from Comux Network Operations Centre in Birmingham provides transmission facilities for national and regional programming throughout the UK on the Freeview and Virgin Media platforms. The 24x7 Network Operations Centre acts as a central hub for all the contribution and distribution of services, incorporating live and scheduled programming.
The technical area uses the latest technology encompassing IP Multicast, SDI/ASI, Storage, Automation, Playout, Encoding, DVB multiplexing, and monitoring facilities.
J O B D E S C R I P T I O N
POSITION: MCR TECHNICAL OPERATOR FULL TIME
The job is based in Birmingham, West Midlands and is a shift-based role including weekends and night shifts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the smooth running of the Comux Network Operations Centre.
- Communicate directly with clients, vendors and 3rd party suppliers in a professional manner.
- Monitor and provide support for Service Contribution, Playout, Encoding, Multiplex and Transmission software and hardware facilities.
- Perform live routing switches for redundancy and planned changes as required
- Provide first and second line fault diagnosis and resolution as necessary, and escalate to appropriate levels and vendors for all technical facilities. Troubleshooting of technical issues in conjunction with engineering team and/or 3rd party vendors/clients.
- Log issues, incidents and activities, and track these in accordance with agreed operational procedures.
- Check transmission schedules, EPG delivery and processing.
- Operational aptitude, including a general understanding of IT systems and networking.
- Experience or an interest in broadcast systems from a technical, rather than creative perspective. Knowledge of SDI/ASI and broadcast technologies. .
- Ability to prioritise workload, work under pressure, and able to work well in a team and on their own.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Previous experience in Broadcast, Master Control Room (MCR) or Playout operations desirable but not essential as full training will be given to the right candidate.